Macon man who beat prostate cancer thankful every day - wgxa.tv

MACON, Ga. -- Macon man Everett Collins spent Christmas with his wife, children and grandchildren.

But Collins says his Christmas miracle didn't end three days ago -- everyday he is cancer-free is a blessing.

Collins says it was back in 1998 when he was diagnosed with prostate cancer.

At the time, he couldn't believe it.

He was fit at just 47-years-old. Although he began feeling a little under the weather, Collins never expected cancer.

That's when he had to make a tough decision -- undergoing surgery to remove his prostate.

But Collins says that wasn't the end of his battle. Just a year later, he went back for a follow up only to find out he now needed radiation.

The cancer was back and Collins says if it wasn't for the help of his wife, he wouldn't be here today.

"I couldn't hardly walk, I couldn't get up," he said. "And I remember falling on the floor one day.

"I said, 'I can't go this morning, I'm done. I'm through.' And she said, 'We -- "we" being the key word -- did not come this far to quit now.' And so that kind of touched me."

Collins says this is what gave him the fight to continue the seven and a half weeks of radiation. But his wife Charlotte Collins says her strength came from above.

"All of his strength came from God," she said. "That was the thing that carried us through, was the strength that God provided for him and I."

Collins says it was after his treatment that he was finally declared cancer free.



http://bit.ly/2BJOwto

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Wish I Didn't Need an Oncologist at All, But I'm Thankful for the One ...

Early symptoms of cancer in males: Common warning signs

20 Famous Men Who Have Had Prostate Cancer