Tests to Diagnose Pancreatic Cancer and What You Can Expect
'I Went To See My GP To Stop Smoking And Found Out I Had Prostate Cancer'
In 2016, Martin received test results revealing his PSA was raised (Image: PROSTATE CANCER UK)Back in July 2017, Martin Adams was standing on the oche in a high-profile darts competition in Blackpool and tried to steady himself.
Throwing for a match can always lead to a few nerves, said Martin - he'd experienced this first hand throughout his career. But it wasn't his nerves that were throwing him off the game that day, it was a hot flush.
He said: "In darts, to win a leg, you need to throw a double, the outer rim of the board, and it's always a tense time. As I stood with my eyes on the double, I could feel the heat rising, gradually taking over my body and my focus. I took a step back and regrouped, but inevitably I missed and lost the match."
This wasn't the first time Martin had experienced a hot flush, nor would it be his last, as this is a common side effect of hormone treatment for prostate cancer.
Martin said: "It all started in 2016 when I went to see my GP for advice to stop smoking and he suggested it would be good to do a full range of blood tests. I thought nothing of it and agreed.
Luckily it was found Martin's cancer hadn't spread to his bones (Image: PROSTATE CANCER UK )"About three or four days later I received the test results and was told that my prostate-specific antigen (PSA) was raised.
"Now, at this stage, prostate cancer was not on my radar. I hadn't heard of the disease at all, nor did I have any idea what a PSA was let alone what a raised level could mean. I spent a lot of time after that researching the disease and after further discussions with my GP, he suggested there was the potential for prostate cancer, and I was then referred to the Urology Department at Peterborough Hospital."
There, Martin was advised a PSA level of 22 (which was his result) indicated that there could be cancer in the prostate, but he'd need further tests and scans to define that for certain.
He said: "I'm not someone who sits and dwells on things. My immediate response was if there's something broken, then how do we fix it.
"An MRI scan showed that there was cancer in the prostate, and though my initial biopsy came back negative for cancer cells, the consultant was adamant that it didn't look good. He believed that the cancer was in a position that was hard to reach, and so recommended a second biopsy. I respected that process, and I'm glad I did go back, as this time around it revealed a cancer cell. And for anyone who knows cancer, one is enough.
"The only good news to come out of all this poking and prodding was that the cancer had not spread to the bones. A huge relief."
A decision had to be made about Martin's treatment, of which there are a handful of options for people with prostate cancer.
He said: "You can watch and wait, which is keeping an eye on the cancer over the long term, and avoiding treatment unless you get symptoms. But for me, it came down to either removing my prostate or radiotherapy and hormone treatment. After talking things through with my partner, I opted for the latter."
Martin started on hormone therapy to slow down and stop the growth of cancer cells.
He was aware there could be side effects, and that's when he started to experience new and unusual sensations like being emotional, overtired, and of course, hot flushes.
Martin said: "While they mainly happened at night-time, I'd occasionally experience them out in public. But the worst one happened that day in Blackpool.
"Then around six months after my hormone therapy had begun, over the course of five weeks across August and September 2017 I had 20 sessions of radiotherapy, one a day Monday to Friday with the weekend off. I was there and back in an hour. I am pleased to say it did not cause me any problems and I was able to continue my everyday life, playing in competitions and exhibitions.
Become an Express Premium member"Even though I didn't win the match in Blackpool, something good did come of my trip. That weekend I met a wonderful lady named Tracy Fletcher, for the first time.
"Like me, her husband had been diagnosed with prostate cancer by chance. They had been watching Jeff Stelling on Sky Sports and googled the badge – a small male figure – he was wearing. After learning about its connection to the charity, Prostate Cancer UK, Tracy's husband found out more about the condition and soon realised he might have it.
"Sadly, like me, he did. But his journey inspired Tracy to start selling Prostate Cancer UK badges at darts events. And that was how we met."
Martin wanted to support and make other men aware of prostate cancer. Considering his profile, he asked how he could help.
He said: "It started with autographs and photos and soon we were selling Team Darts shirts with all funds going directly to Prostate Cancer UK. It felt good to be giving back and raising awareness all at once. Her fundraising has gone from strength to strength ever since and she's raised more than £450,000 now, which is amazing."
In September 2017, Martin's radiotherapy ended and test results showed the treatment had worked.
He said: "I stopped all treatment in 2018 and now see my GP twice a year to keep my PSA levels in check. My last reading was just 0.04, which is pretty low.
"Its at this time of the year the sporting world focuses on the great sport of darts, and as a three-time former BDO World Champion, I'm so happy to see that Prostate Cancer UK has been named as a charity partner at the Paddy Power World Darts Championship."
The charity's 'the Big' 180 campaign sees Paddy Power donate £1,000 to the charity for every 180 scored by players. In addition, the campaign challenges 180,000 fans in the UK to use Prostate Cancer UK's online risk checker.
Martin said: "While that risk checker didn't exist before my diagnosis, I now know prostate cancer is curable if caught early, but early-stage prostate cancer often has no symptoms, so it is vital that men know their risk.
"Men are at higher risk if they are over 50, Black or have a father or brother who has had prostate cancer.
"I'd urge men reading this to spend just 30 seconds completing the risk checker. I certainly would have if it was around when I started my journey."
Screenings, Early Detection Important In Prostate Cancer Treatment
It's a mention in a newscast, a headline in a newspaper, an entry on a prayer list, and then, perhaps, forgotten. Except by the sufferer and his family.
At the beginning of 2023, U.S. Sen. Bob Casey, D-Pa., announced he had prostate cancer. A check-in with his staff just before Christmas had positive news. "I am happy to say Sen. Casey is doing well," said spokeswoman Natalie Adams.
In early December, U.S. Rep. Glenn Thompson, R-Pa., announced he was diagnosed with prostate cancer, too. He's said he's feeling well, and is tackling the situation head on.
Just how prevalent is prostate cancer?
Dr. Hasan Rizvi, oncologist / hematologist, UAHS and Roswell Park Cancer Institute physician, answered some questions on the topic.
"Prostate cancer is very common and 1.6 million men worldwide get diagnosed with prostate cancer, annually," he said. "In the United States, 11% of men will get prostate cancer and the risk of developing it increases with age. Around 366,000 deaths worldwide are attributed to prostate cancer."
As with several forms of the insidious disease, there are no obvious signs that say something is wrong.
Rizvi explained, "There are no warning signs of prostate cancer, but it's important to understand the risk factors for developing cancer. It's encouraged to get screened early to avoid the cancer developing into metastatic prostate cancer."
There are screenings, including a blood test for a prostate specific antigen.
"The earlier it is caught, the better the chances of survival," the doctor said. "If caught early, prostate cancer has a 100% survival rate but if not detected early and the cancer spreads, the five-year survival rate drops to 31%."
Are there risk factors, or preventive measures men should take?
"It's always recommended to live a healthy lifestyle such as a healthy diet and physical activity," Rizvi said. However, he added, "Studies have shown that there are two genetic factors that play a role in the occurrences of an individual developing prostate cancer. One is that if a female in the individual's family had ovarian or breast cancer at an early age, then the individual could develop prostate cancer.
"They should get tested for the BRCA gene as early as the age of 40 to see if their risk is higher for developing prostate cancer," he explained. "Another factor which is at greater risk of developing prostate cancer if they been identified to have Lynch syndrome."
Lynch syndrome is an inherited condition that is a genetic predisposition to different cancer types, passed from parents to children.
As for treatment, Rizvi said, "The treatment of prostate cancer is different for everyone and should be a discussion with the individual and their physician as to what route to take as well as evaluate what stage the cancer is. Some treatments include surgery, radiation medicine, hormone therapy or chemotherapy."
NEWS CENTER Maine Anchor Lee Goldberg, Launches Prostate Cancer Nonprofit
In March of 2021, Lee Goldberg was diagnosed with prostate cancer. Since then, he has been working to raise awareness about screening through PSA testing.
OLD ORCHARD BEACH, Maine — NEWS CENTER Maine's Lee Goldberg is a television veteran, having worked in the industry since 1991. He's a husband and father of eight children, ranging from two to 25 years old. As of two and a half years ago, he's also a cancer survivor.
"I was diagnosed with prostate cancer back in March of 2021," Lee said. "It came literally out of nowhere. I had zero symptoms of any kind. I have no family history of prostate cancer."
"To receive the news that your partner has cancer—your husband has cancer— it was a lot. It was definitely a lot to handle in that moment," Lee's wife, Karen, added.
Lee said it all began when he was at an annual doctor's appointment where routine blood work showed higher-than-normal PSA (or Prostate Specific Antigen) levels. That can mean anything from a benign issue to prostate cancer. He and his urologist continued to test, and when levels didn't go down, the doctor did a biopsy. When it revealed cancer, Lee underwent treatment.
"This happened for a reason. I am one of those believers in things happening for a reason," Lee said.
Lee has made his "reason" a mission to spread awareness about how PSA testing potentially saved his life. According to the American Cancer Society, about one in eight men are diagnosed with prostate cancer in their lifetime. Early detection, though, is crucial: about one in 41 men will die of prostate cancer.
Lee began posting on social media in 2021, sharing his story with tens of thousands of followers across all platforms. He and Karen said his message ended up reaching people all over not just our state but the continent.
"I was hearing from people from Alaska, obviously a ton of people from Maine, people from Canada," Lee said. "People who just saw the message, and it got spread and shared with them."
"I have a friend that works at a local doctor's office. She contacted me the next day and said their phone literally did not stop ringing and that they have never had anywhere near that many calls— all for PSA tests," Karen said.
Lee said one couple in particular who reached out to him made him realize how the effort could— literally—be life-changing. He said a man in Alaska saw one of his posts, scheduled a PSA test, realized he had cancer, and then underwent treatment.
"He came to Maine from Alaska this past summer with his wife who wanted to meet me and give me a hug. I can't put into words what that meant," Lee said.
Now, Lee and Karen are on a mission with Lee's urologist, Dr. Stephen Ryan, and his wife to do even more of this work. They're launching a new nonprofit called Prostate Cancer Maine. The goal is to raise awareness about PSA and help more Mainers get screened.
"The younger you are, the more likely [you are] to benefit from a screening PSA—and the more likely you'd get a curable prostate cancer diagnosis at an early age," Ryan said.
Ryan said nowadays, having a higher PSA doesn't automatically mean undergoing a biopsy or cancer treatment. Instead, there's more of a "watch and wait" recommendation.
"That little bit of knowledge can start a conversation, and that conversation is what builds trust and has people buying into their own health and becoming advocates for themselves," Ryan said.
In case you were wondering: Lee is now cancer-free and said he's feeling pretty much back to normal.
The first fundraiser for Prostate Cancer Maine is happening on Monday, Dec. 18 at Dunstan Tap and Table in Scarborough. The fun begins at 6 p.M., and Lee, Sharon Rose, and Todd Gutner will be guest bartenders.
You can connect with Lee and his team by emailing prostatecancermaine@gmail.Com.
More NEWS CENTER Maine stories
Comments
Post a Comment