SBRT for Prostate Cancer: Your FAQs
8 Unknown Lung Cancer Symptoms As The Big Bang Theory Star Diagnosed With Disease
Big Bang star Kate Micucci was unexpectedly diagnosed with lung cancer at the age of 43. Fortunately, she was able to detect the cancer early thanks to one symptom
Kate Micucci was left stunned after being diagnosed with lung cancer (Image: WireImage)
There are 8 crucial lung cancer symptoms to look out for - after a former The Big Bang Theory star was stunned to find she had been diagnosed with the disease despite never smoking.
Kate Micucci, 43, who played Lucy in the comedy show, recently took to social media to confirm she was in the process of recovering from surgery after being unexpectedly diagnosed with lung cancer. In a post to TikTok, she addressed her followers from hospital, saying: "Hey, everybody. This is not a TikTok. It's a sicktok. I'm in the hospital, but it's because I had lung cancer surgery yesterday."
The 43-year-old said that the doctors caught the disease pretty early. "It's pretty weird because I've never smoked a cigarette a day in my life," she said. "So, it was a surprise, but also, I guess it happens. The greatest news is, they caught it early, they got it, out. I'm all good," Kate concluded.
READ MORE: People who wake up in middle of night 'more likely' to develop dementia
There are key symptoms to look for in lung cancer (Image:
Getty Images/iStockphoto)One fan asked her: "What made you go in to get it checked out? Was it a general check up? Or were there symptoms?" She explained: "I had one thing in my bloodwork that came back really high. So I went to a preventative doc who did a few scans. He scanned my heart and that's where the spot in my lung was noticed."
According to the Mayo Press Clinic, it is the leading cause of cancer deaths worldwide. People who smoke have the greatest risk of lung cancer, both in smokers and people exposed to secondhand smoke.
The risk of lung cancer increases with the length of time and number of cigarettes you've smoked. If you quit smoking, even after smoking for many years, you can significantly reduce your chances of developing lung cancer.
It is essential to try and catch lung cancer early (Image:
Getty Images/iStockphoto) Signs and symptoms of lung cancerImage:
CBS via Getty Images) Risk factors of lung cancerThe Gruesome Sign Of Lung Cancer To Spot In Your Fingers - Develops 'over Years'
This article contains affiliate links, we will receive a commission on any sales we generate from it. Learn more Lung cancer: Dr Amir describes the symptoms in FebruaryIn the UK lung cancer remains the most deadly type of cancer, accounting for almost 35,000 deaths every year. Therefore, knowing any of the warning signs could be life-saving.
Due to the location of the disease, many of the symptoms are linked to coughing or breathing. These include things like coughing up blood and pain when breathing.
However, there are less well-known symptoms that you might not expect. An expert spoke exclusively with Express.Co.Uk about an "unusual" warning sign of lung cancer that can appear on the fingers.
Finger clubbing is one such symptom, according to Chemist Click pharmacist Abbas Kanani. This causes the ends of the fingers to look larger, giving them a clubbed appearance.
The nails can become more curved and shiny. But this sign can take "years to develop".
Finger clubbing is one sign of lung cancer (Image: Getty Images)Abbas explained: "Changes in the appearance of your fingers, such as becoming more curved or their ends becoming larger may be due to large cells, called megakaryocytes, getting stuck in the small blood vessels in the tips of the fingers, however, the cause is not entirely clear.
"It is a less common symptom of lung cancer. It usually affects the top of the fingers on both hands and generally takes years to develop.
"You may notice that your nail bed becomes soft.
"Nails may look like they aren't attached anymore and the angle where your nail meets the cuticle gets wider."
A long-standing cough that gets worse is another sign of lung cancer (Image: Getty) Become an Express Premium memberCancer Research UK adds that other health problems can cause finger clubbing.
"Finger clubbing can be a sign of a number of underlying health conditions, particularly of the lungs or heart," the charity says.
"This includes cancers such as lung cancer and mesothelioma. But finger clubbing can also be found in some people with thyroid problems or other conditions such as ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease.
"Many people with these conditions don't have finger clubbing."
General symptoms of cancer to be aware of (Image: Express.Co.Uk) Other symptoms of lung cancerAbbas listed other symptoms of lung cancer to look for:
He said: "If you notice these signs, you should book a GP appointment so they can examine you and find out about any other symptoms which you may have."
Lung cancer riskSmoking cigarettes is the single biggest risk factor for lung cancer.
"It's responsible for more than seven out of 10 cases," Abbas said.
"Smoking cannabis may also increase the risk of developing lung cancer. Most people who smoke cannabis mix it with tobacco.
"While they tend to smoke less tobacco than people who smoke regular cigarettes, they usually inhale more deeply and hold the smoke in their lungs for longer.
"Radon can also raise your risk of lung cancer. It is a natural radioactive gas that comes from tiny amounts of uranium present in all rocks and soils. If breathed in, it can damage your lungs, particularly if you smoke.
"Exposure to certain chemicals and substances such as arsenic and asbestos may also increase your risk of developing lung cancer."
COPD Causes And Symptoms
These men and women are fighting a common enemy: COPD – Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. Their lungs don't work normally…every breath taken can be a struggle. What do they believe to be the cause?Bill Durham COPD Patient
Too many cigarettes. Smoked too long, about 40 years.Loretta Freeman COPD Patient
I started smoking when I was 17.Joseph Burlas COPD Patient
My wife says it's from 40 years of smoking.Narrator
That's true for about 85-percent of COPD cases.Gerald Staton, MD
We do see occasional patients that have various industrial exposures that can seem to contribute to that, but often they smoke cigarettes too and so it's probably a combination of factors.Narrator
Consider what happened to 59-year-old Gregory Wright. As a firefighter he was exposed to burning plastics, asbestos and chemicals. Then he worked at an airport breathing in noxious fumes and gases.Gregory Wright, COPD Patient
The doctor going over my medical history – did you ever smoke? Yes. I smoked for over 30 years.Narrator
Another troublesome combination:Gerald Staton, MD
Asthma seems to be a predisposition that if you are an asthmatic as a child and then smoke cigarettes then you have a fairly significantly higher risk of developing COPD later in life.Narrator
Then there's a particularly lethal mix: a genetic, or hereditary predisposition due to alpha 1 antitrypsin deficiency.Diane Kay, COPD Patient
I was diagnosed with alpha 1 in '99 but I had symptoms for years and being a flight attendant I had a difficult time keeping up with the rest of the crews.Narrator
Although rare, people like Diane Kay have low levels of a so-called lung protector protein that's produced by the liver.Diane Kay, COPD Patient
It took me forever to walk up the driveway from getting the mail. I had to take breaks, and you just think you getting older and at that the time I was a smoker. So you think you know you're older and you smoking and you know. What do you expect?Narrator
She was susceptible to colds, bronchitis and laryngitis and it took her forever to get over these illnesses. The early COPD symptoms are often missed:Gerald Staton, MD
Even people in their 30's and 40's will have the so-called smoker's cough. They think that's normal. They think everybody gets up in the morning and coughs up stuff, that's not normal. That's the beginning of symptoms.Narrator
Shortness of breath tends to develop in their late 40's and 50's. Diane finally had to give up her job:Diane Kay, COPD Patient
They kind of frown on flight attendants walking on an airplane with an oxygen mask (laughs).Narrator
Eventually it became so difficult for Diane to breathe that she ended up needing a lung transplant. Her advice: don't smoke.Diane Kay, COPD Patient
It basically caused me to have a transplant. If I hadn't been a smoker or worked in an environment where there is second hand smoke I probably wouldn't have had a transplant I never would have gotten as sick as I got, as quickly as I did.Narrator
For WebMD, I'm Rhonda Rowland.","publisher":"WebMD Video"} ]]>
Hide Video Transcript
Narrator
These men and women are fighting a common enemy: COPD – Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. Their lungs don't work normally…every breath taken can be a struggle. What do they believe to be the cause?Bill Durham COPD Patient
Too many cigarettes. Smoked too long, about 40 years.Loretta Freeman COPD Patient
I started smoking when I was 17.Joseph Burlas COPD Patient
My wife says it's from 40 years of smoking.Narrator
That's true for about 85-percent of COPD cases.Gerald Staton, MD
We do see occasional patients that have various industrial exposures that can seem to contribute to that, but often they smoke cigarettes too and so it's probably a combination of factors.Narrator
Consider what happened to 59-year-old Gregory Wright. As a firefighter he was exposed to burning plastics, asbestos and chemicals. Then he worked at an airport breathing in noxious fumes and gases.Gregory Wright, COPD Patient
The doctor going over my medical history – did you ever smoke? Yes. I smoked for over 30 years.Narrator
Another troublesome combination:Gerald Staton, MD
Asthma seems to be a predisposition that if you are an asthmatic as a child and then smoke cigarettes then you have a fairly significantly higher risk of developing COPD later in life.Narrator
Then there's a particularly lethal mix: a genetic, or hereditary predisposition due to alpha 1 antitrypsin deficiency.Diane Kay, COPD Patient
I was diagnosed with alpha 1 in '99 but I had symptoms for years and being a flight attendant I had a difficult time keeping up with the rest of the crews.Narrator
Although rare, people like Diane Kay have low levels of a so-called lung protector protein that's produced by the liver.Diane Kay, COPD Patient
It took me forever to walk up the driveway from getting the mail. I had to take breaks, and you just think you getting older and at that the time I was a smoker. So you think you know you're older and you smoking and you know. What do you expect?Narrator
She was susceptible to colds, bronchitis and laryngitis and it took her forever to get over these illnesses. The early COPD symptoms are often missed:Gerald Staton, MD
Even people in their 30's and 40's will have the so-called smoker's cough. They think that's normal. They think everybody gets up in the morning and coughs up stuff, that's not normal. That's the beginning of symptoms.Narrator
Shortness of breath tends to develop in their late 40's and 50's. Diane finally had to give up her job:Diane Kay, COPD Patient
They kind of frown on flight attendants walking on an airplane with an oxygen mask (laughs).Narrator
Eventually it became so difficult for Diane to breathe that she ended up needing a lung transplant. Her advice: don't smoke.Diane Kay, COPD Patient
It basically caused me to have a transplant. If I hadn't been a smoker or worked in an environment where there is second hand smoke I probably wouldn't have had a transplant I never would have gotten as sick as I got, as quickly as I did.Narrator
For WebMD, I'm Rhonda Rowland.
Comments
Post a Comment