How to detect colon cancer without a colonoscopy



parathyroid carcinoma diagnosis :: Article Creator

Thyroid Cancer

Content

Patients with thyroid cancer are generally treated with surgery.

Although thyroid surgery is common, the best outcomes and lowest morbidity are generally achieved by surgeons with experience in this type of surgery, who have advanced training in endocrine or head and neck surgical oncology, and those who perform the surgery on a regular basis.

In the case of very small cancers the surgeon may be able to remove half of the gland preserving most of the thyroid function of the remaining glandular tissue. Patients with advanced cancers may require radioactive iodine treatment following surgery to destroy any residual microscopic tumor cells that may be present in the body. Only very rarely will thyroid cancer patients require external beam radiation or chemotherapy as part of their treatment.

Our cancer surgeons specialize in the treatment of endocrine tumors including thyroid, parathyroid and adrenal gland disease. Advanced surgical expertise includes minimally invasive parathyroidectomy and thyroidectomy, traditional open thyroidectomy, central, selective and modified radical neck dissection, single incision laparoscopic adrenalectomy, traditional laparoscopic adrenalectomy and laparoscopic resection of endocrine pancreas tumors.


Podcaster Matt King Reveals Skin Cancer Diagnosis: 'Everything's Gonna Be Okay'

Podcaster and Vine star Matt King has been diagnosed with skin cancer.

King, 31, revealed the news on the June 12th episode of the Unfiltered podcast with Zane Hijazi and Heath Hussar. 

King, who hosts the Hoot & a Half podcast, said that he was diagnosed with "basal cell carcinoma, the most treatable form of skin cancer there is."

Per the Mayo Clinic, "basal cell carcinoma is a type of skin cancer" that is "thought to be caused by long-term exposure to ultraviolet (UV) radiation from sunlight." The Clinic added that this type of skin cancer "is most often treated with surgery to remove all of the cancer and some of the healthy tissue around it."

King also revealed that he got the call "an hour" before joining Unfiltered for their recording. "I was watching the Mavs game… at a friend's house nearby," he recalled. "I'm in shock but luckily I was with my friend, who is a nurse and he's like, 'Oh dude, you're fine.' And I'm like, 'Okay, I am fine.' "

King then shared that his "mom has a history of squamous cell carcinoma (SCC)" and had a melanoma spot removed from her skin more than 10 years ago. His doctor pointed out a spot that he described as a "freckle in the middle of a psoriasis spot" that he said "doesn't even look like your typical cancer [spot]."

"However, I have the most mild form," King said.

Birdie Thompson/Variety/Getty

Never miss a story — sign up for PEOPLE's free daily newsletter to stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.

Despite the news, King was in good spirits and reassured Hijazi, 31, and Hussar, 31, that "everything's gonna be okay."  He then joked about "wearing ribbons" and "stripes" for "Matt appreciation month." 

King also posted a TikTok on Thursday, June 13, confirming his diagnosis. He also shared that he saw a dermatologist after he "was concerned about a spot on his leg that he had for a while." 

"That spot ended up being nothing," King said. "I pointed out every other random spot on my body I'd been concerned about and she noticed a spot on my back that I never noticed. She took a biopsy, called me back a week later and told me it was basal cell carcinoma." 

Presley Ann/Patrick McMullan/Getty

King clarified that he would be "just fine" and that he has a surgery scheduled in mid-July to get the cancer removed. He urged his followers to be "safe this summer" and "get a checkup with your dermatologist and ask them what type of sunscreen you should be wearing." 

"I've got that freckly-Irish skin [and] I'm very sensitive to the sun," King said. "I've always been concerned about the really scary looking skin cancer spots and I never realized that what I have is cancerous." 

"Be safe, be smart, go get a checkup," he concluded.


Thyroid And Parathyroid Center

Content

The Thyroid & Parathyroid Center at Baylor Medicine is a world-class medical facility in Houston, TX, where patients can be seen simultaneously by a surgeon and endocrinologist for treatment of both benign and malignant tumors of the thyroid, parathyroid, adrenal, and endocrine pancreas. World-renowned endocrinologists work closely with a multidisciplinary team including specialists in surgery, radiology, pathology, nuclear medicine, ENT and oncology to provide you a personal treatment plan, all under one roof. These doctors work together for one, cohesive treatment plan. 

From routine medical endocrinology to complex cancer care, to surgery of the Thyroid, Parathyroid, Adrenal and Endocrine Pancreas, the Thyroid & Parathyroid Center offers the highest quality patient care with excellent outcomes. The center is located at the Baylor St. Luke's Medical Center Dan L Duncan Comprehensive Cancer Center at McNair Campus. For total care and convenience make your appointment today!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sentinel lymph node biopsy: What cancer patients should know

Expert Discusses Data From First Positive Trial for PARP Inhibitor in Prostate Cancer - Targeted Oncology

Prostate MRI in Stereotactic Body Radiation Treatment Planning and Delivery for Localized Prostate Cancer - RSNA Publications Online